Monday, August 3, 2009

Iloa'a e ke ola mau: Let me walk through paradise with you

   "Hey Lana! My mom and I are heading to the shore tomorrow to watch the sunrise. We would love to have you come.." This happened yesterday after lunch and church. Nelly McNaughton, a close friend to my brother and just returned from serving his mission, came and picked me up last night and we headed to Ocean City this morning. The sunrise ended up being in the fog and we couldn't see through it, but it was definitely worth it. Just to hear the ocean, put my feet in the sand, and be with some of my favorite people in the world was all worth a foggy sunrise. This was a tradition for their family, and now that everyone in their family is either married or in college, Nelson hadn't done it since he was little. So I was just glad and grateful they invited me to tag along. If I live close to the ocean when I have my own family, this will undoubtedly be one of our family traditions. Pack all the kiddies in the car with an enormous blanket, sweatshirts, pillows to sleep in the car with, and cinnamon rolls. Then when we arrive to the shore, we'll write our names in the sand and watch as the water captures our names, as my kids will capture the memory. Then we'll sit close together on our gigantic blanket as we watch the sun climb onto the horizon. I'm not sure why I have been doing this, but I've recently been thinking and recording in my mind things I want to do with my children in the future. I know, it's really strange. But it just makes me more excited to have my own family, and more grateful for my own family. This morning was undoubtedly one of the best ways to start off my day this whole summer. 

Oh, and Elder Leland James Sikahema comes home in five days. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it. 

1 comment:

  1. status: currently smoking. i'm way beyond high right now.

    what a beautiful tradition! i absolutely love this, lana!

    ReplyDelete