Saturday, April 17, 2010

Neverland Loving

I was never a Peter Pan fan, but
I think I've found Neverland.

After track practice, Bridget and I walked through an unknown park across the street from school.
We talked about relationships and parenting.

The essence and blooming of spring was captured in the few minutes we spent strolling through it.
Butterflies were floating,
trees were dancing,
grass was growing,
flowers were blooming.

Kids were laughing with Mommy and Daddy.
Dogs were kissing their owners who held slobber-drenched frisbees.
A hand-holding, elderly couple strolled by Bridget and I as we were running and said hello, smiling.

Reasonably sized, rustic homes bordered the cobblestone street with old ladies drinking tea and knitting baby clothes for granddaughters.
They look up through highly prescribed glasses and smile their cute smiles.

Young couples occupy Neverland too.
The Mrs. places one hand on her pregnant stomach, as the Mr. holds her other hand.
And they walk together.

Little girls were climbing trees, telling secrets,
as the little boy was trying to listen to them.
He steals a glance at the one with the brown curly pigtails
who gives him butterflies in his tummy, similar to the
butterflies fluttering around her.

Kites were being flown by daughters and fathers.

BoyfriendandGirlfriend
were cuddling on a blanket
looking at the clouds.

Suddenly...
drops of water.

Thin, silver streams of rain darted to the green grass.

And the little girls and boys
and their mommys and daddies
laughed
and
danced.


So it's true.
Neverland really does exist, everyone.
Bring it on home.

No comments:

Post a Comment