Friday, July 3, 2009

London doesn't know what's comin


It's official. There are now two Elder Sikahemas serving in two capital cities of the world at this very moment. One in Hong Kong, China, the other in London, England. Our family and friends said a sweet goodbye to Elder Leonard Trey Sikahema yesterday at the airport as he anxiously walked through the sliding doors. In all honesty, I didn't shed a tear once yesterday. I feel that there has been so much hype in the departure of Elder Sikahema, that I was just ready for him to leave and start living the two years he's been preparing for his whole life. He had to go.
 

I'm not going to get into the preparation he's had for the past nineteen years of his life, and I don't even want to reminisce the good times I've had with Trey. It's not that I don't want to conjure special memories with him because I miss him, but because I feel that what's happening now and what's happened in the past couple of days is more significant than the life I've lived with Trey. The night before Elder Sikahema left, my uncle Leonard (Treybo's namesake) brought my  great grandpa's guitar and played a couple songs. The first one he played was "Edelweiss" which I realized is one of the prettiest songs to be sung and played on the planet. He then played and sang a song in Tongan that expressed the wonderful and tragic life of the prophet Joseph Smith. There's something about listening to a song sung in the language of your people. It's gratifying. It's humbling. It's beautiful.
 

When I woke up July 2, I felt elated. There was such a miniscule size of ache in me, and I couldn't help but love to see Trey dressed in his brand new suit  in which I hope to see tattered and close to ruined when he returns home honorably. Saying goodbye to Elder Sikahema was a completely different feel compared to Elder Leland J. Sikahema and Landon. I wasn't ready to let go of them. I needed them to stay  home and watch after me when I was scared and helpless. But for Trey, I'm more grown up. I knew how ready he was, and there's people in London aching for him to bring them the gospel. I practically felt the ache for them. That's why I barely miss him. I just wish I could see his face as he arrives in Atlanta to meet his companions, and the zeal they must have as they board the airplane to London, England. They're warriors.
 

So here's to you, Elder Leonard Trey Sikahema, as you embark on a journey where you are the keystone to changing lives. London doesn't know what's coming. I love you, and go dominate.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this piece and your writing is fantastic and improving sweetie. Check your email for Elder Leonard Trey Sikahema's first email from England. It's great. Have fun at EFY! Love you, Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this.
    Is it alright that I follow your blog, because heyyy, here I am.

    ReplyDelete